Work Life: My Conference Survival Guide

Greetings! Before I get into today’s topic, I wanted to take a moment to mention a couple of my new blog headings. I like to keep tabs of existing and potential blog topics, which are found on my Subject List . If you have suggestions, please feel free to comment below. There’s also my Orange Wall, which has been up for a while. And, my brand-new Welcome to the Future , where I will share news from around the world, mostly related to sustainable practices and work-life balance, but any piece that will help us to grow, and move forward. And now, on with the topic!
A couple months ago, I attended the Florida Rural Health Association Summit at the Rosen Plaza in beautiful Orlando, Florida. I run exhibit tables for a living, so I travel to conferences and meetings, with my 30-second elevator pitch, always ready to go!
Over the years, I’ve learned how to make the most my conferencing experience. Some of what I share may or may not work for you, but if you are a business traveler, I hope that this post will at least help you to think through how you can get the maximum return on your trips. Because, let’s face it, work, and even leisure travel, can be exhausting!
When tabling, it can be very easy to just do the bare minimum. It is tempting to put up your display, plop down in a chair, hide behind a laptop or other device, and coast through the exhibit hall experience. During the exhibit hall hours, I like to stand by my table, as much as possible, for a couple of reasons. First, it helps me to interact with other conference-goers. This doesn’t mean that I need to chase people down, and interrupt their conversations. But, I want to make myself available, when people have questions. And, standing burns more calories than sitting. With all the yummy conference food, and eating on the run, I need all the help I can get!
Some conferences allow the exhibitors to attend the meeting sessions. Most that I’ve attended have allowed me to sit in on the conference presentations, with the other attendees. It can be tempting during the presentations to hang out in the lobby, catch up on social media, etc. But when I participate in the full conference program, it helps me to engage with the other attendees, and I learn so much about the topics at hand. As you know, any worthwhile conference is going to recruit the best speakers and leaders possible. At the Rural Health Summit, I participated in a discussion about the opioid crisis, and I learned so much. It was very eye-opening, and sobering.
The Rosen Plaza is a real treat, for business, or leisure!

We all want to have some fun on business travel, right?! Once again, it can be tempting to “check out and drink up” 😉 However, whenever I have over-indulged (mostly on food, since I’m a pretty moderate drinker), I usually regret it when I get home, and have to face the effects of my nosh fest. My work trips are fairly short, usually two to four nights. A couple ideas that keep me focused: I like to pick one night out on the town, and stay in the other nights. Staying in allows me to rest and relax, and perhaps check out the venue pool! If you feel pressured to go out every night, visit my Social Work post for some thoughts. I always attend the post-conference party, or “social hour”, even if it’s just for a few minutes, and even if I’m exhausted. I think it’s nice to show up, and at least say hello to the conference organizers, and thank them for their work. And, if you are entertaining clients, suggest that you meet at the conference social. This takes some of the pressure off you, to be constantly “on”. Clients can mix and mingle with everyone, and it provides them with more opportunities to network. Sometimes, you can work with the conference organizer to add one or two more hors d'oeuvres stations at the social hour, specifically for your clients. It never hurts to ask!
After your trip, if you can squeeze in a mini-vacation, go for it! For me, I always have lots of work waiting back at my desk, so it causes more stress to go on holiday, straight from conferencing. But if you can swing it, it may be a convenient way to fit in some down time.


Conferencing in Style!

Exhibit Hall!

Checking out the Presentations,

Cute Conference-Goer!

Kim knows the importance of a well-stocked coffee and tea station! 😊

The line forms behind me, 😉

You had me at Home Fries!

Burger Bites!

Fruit Kabobs!

Mini Soup Bowls!

Tele-Health, anyone?

Tabled!

Perhaps some chocolate, with your Medical Recruitment?

Rosen Plaza Entrance!
Before I wrap up this post, I want to give a super shout-out to Upside Travel. Finally, a service that understands the needs of a business traveler. I am loving the 24/7 Navigators, and the automatic receipts, which is a must, for me! Check ‘em out, and let Upside be your favorite travel companion, 😊
Do you have biz travel tips and tricks that you would like to share? Please comment below, and thank you for reading!

 






34 comments

  1. Seu Blog no Blogspot (Blogger) é muito bem elaborado parabéns. Eu também sou fã desta plataforma gratuita.

    Meu nome é Tiago eu começei criar alguns blogs aqui da minha cidade Saquarema, Rio de Janeiro.

    Veja a baixo.
    https://saquaredes.blogspot.com.br/

    https://jogaprarolosaquarema.blogspot.com.br/

    Veja e depois me diga o que faço para melhorar meu blog, se poder é claro abraços...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigado, Tiago! Estou ansioso para visitar seus Blogs! Thank you,

      Delete
  2. It was a delight to read about your experience at the conference Rebecca! You always have some amazing and insightful tips from your experiences at various events. Keep 'em coming! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I very much enjoy your blog! I appreciate your honest posts, and helpful life advice!! Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Oi Be,
    Desculpe estar escrevendo em portugues, mas meuingles não é bom. Adorei o blog, mas quase nunca viajo a negócios.
    Obrigada pela sua visita aomeu blog.
    Beijos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eu adoro quando as pessoas comentam em sua língua nativa! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. It all sounds technical and fun at the same time😉😆 but i love that cute dress you had on, with the pop of red. Welldone!

    http://lasbenditas.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much!!! The dress is very comfortable, and the shoes are pretty comfy, too! 😊

      Delete
  5. Great tips! Sound like you're a true prof in conference'ing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I have a lot to learn! I guess it's important not to take it all too seriously! :) Hope you enjoy your week!

      Delete
  6. Cool post I love! Really a working girl!

    http://www.alessabernal.com/
    Alessa Bernal

    ReplyDelete
  7. such an interesting experience and so many details of it
    have a nice week
    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pilar, thank you for stopping by!! See you soon on your blog!

      Delete
  8. Wow! That looks like a great conference! And all of your tips are spot on. My previous job had some conference tabling every once in awhile, and I can wholeheartedly agree with with your suggestions (especially standing by your table)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊 thank you!! It’s great to connect with people face-to-face, I sometimes forget that in this digitally-fueled world,

      Delete
  9. Good to become visiting your weblog again, it has been months for me. Nicely this article that i've been waited for so long. I will need this post to total my assignment in the college, and it has exact same topic together with your write-up. Thanks, good share. Events, Conference and wedding facilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great, I am so glad it was helpful! Hope you are well,

      Delete
  10. I think this is a standout amongst the most critical data for me. What"s more, i"m happy perusing your article. Be that as it may, ought to comment on some broad things Luggage

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page! legitimate

    ReplyDelete
  12. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. https://thesurvivallife.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good farmer's market and visits are a routine part of my summer. There's nothing like buying fresh produce, artisan baked goods, and honey directly from a beekeeper!How to Get From Barcelona International Airport to the Cruise Port?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot wait to dig deep and kickoff utilizing resources that I received from you. Your exuberance is refreshing. thesurvivallife.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work . car insurance policy - ubl travel insurance

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use only high quality materials - you can see them at: Check this site out

    ReplyDelete
  17. The website is a great resource for people interested in investing their savings in life insurance. While we do not sell life insurance plans, we do offer information about what to look for and how to choose the best plan for our visitors.
    what kind of life insurance do i need

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. best steel toe work shoes

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's late finding this act. At least, it's a thing to be familiar with that there are such events exist. I agree with your Blog and I will be back to inspect it more in the future so please keep up your act. univeral life policies

    ReplyDelete
  20. A common misconception is that it is expensive, electricity wise, to operate a food dehydrator. This is not true, even though food dehydrators use electricity to operate their heating system and fans for longer periods of time. Food Dehydration

    ReplyDelete
  21. Home invasion is a big crime on its own. But with this offense, there are also other offenses that are on the rise. As a result, normal people are becoming more and more worried about the security of their lives. home invasion

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. the lost ways book review

    ReplyDelete